Sunday 1 February 2015

The Giraffe, the Booze, and Wardrobe

Sometime back in August I came up with an idea, and now, just over four months later, I have finally started to work towards it. The plan was to remove my slide out wardrobe that is under my homemade bunk bed. The wardrobe has always been pretty much useless, it's always been filled with junk, and so I have spent the day  emptying it, and sorting through all the junk.

Before I get on to the many terrors of today, I've actually had a fairly interesting week. It was Nathan's eighteenth birthday, and so we all got plastered, and went to a nightclub. Getting plastered was nothing new to the rest of the group we were with, I was the only one who wasn't used to consuming vast amounts of alcoholic beverages.

Nathan's birthday came on the Thursday, along with what us Brits call a blizzard. I was able to use this "blizzard" as an excuse to get out of college early. A good job too, but I just missed the last bus back to Biddulph, and so I was stuck in Hanley bus station for an hour before the nice chaps at First Buses decided they'd send a bus to Biddulph. My D&G return ticket may have been wasted, but at least I made it home in one piece.

As soon as I got home though, I got changed and then left again. It was boozing time, and so we went on a pub crawl around Biddulph to celebrate Nathan's coming of age. I made the mistake of having the hottest curry served after already having three pints (which was three pints more than I'm used to drinking). That didn't go down too well, and I ended up "marking my territory" outside the pharmacy. The night continued without a hitch, but I was off the booze and I stuck to drinking cola.

The next night was the night I had been dreading for a very long time. Thankfully I didn't mark any territory this time around. That night was spent in a nightclub called Bunker 13, and we went up on the Extreme Metal night, which was awesome, I drank more than the previous night, I danced more than the previous night, and I loved every minute of it.

Saturday was spent recuperating, and I had to bug out of Nathan's house early otherwise his dad, Dion, would drag us to the pub again. I made a very good call, but it wasn't the pub they went, it was another birthday party, and so they got plastered. I on the other hand was at home, with two of Nathan's female cousins, I was flirting with one, and teaching the other guitar.

Then of course it came to today, I had already decided earlier in the week how I would spend today, and I actually stuck to my plan for a change. I did all my papers in the morning, and as soon as I got back home I was busy tearing my room apart. It took me about an hour and a half to clear my desk and empty my wardrobe, there was a lot of crap to move.

I uncovered many strange and lost treasures, such as a crappy ukulele, and a smelly turtle thingamajig. I found Magic cards, a toy Jaguar XKR from the film Die Another Day. I found drumsticks, and a set of Tangrams. I even found a papyrus bookmark which I lost about five years ago.

Once the junk was all removed I then had to take apart my wardrobe. A task which was very hard, and very scary. It being hard was most likely due to my incompetence with most things involving manual labour, it also didn't help knowing I couldn't destroy the wardrobe because my dad wanted to use the wood elsewhere. It became very scary when I realized I was trapped inside my bedroom and I even ended up trapped between my wardrobe and my door. I couldn't even get help when that was the case.

I was able to free myself and, shortly before the wardrobe was completely disassembled, help had finally arrived in the form of Nathan's cousin Paris, whom I was teaching to play guitar the night before. Her help was welcomed, and it was also a lot better than I expected it would be.

Anyway after what ended up being eight hours of horror, I was finally able to make this room usable, it's still nowhere near completion, but it's good enough for now. I still have a lot of stuff to sort through and dispose of, but I can now comfortable entertain two guests in my room, instead of simply just just squeeze in a guest, and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment