Sunday 18 January 2015

Modern Technology

I have been gifted with a smartphone! I don't know what I'm going to do with my smartphone, but I've got one now, which is definitely a nice start. I have to say that it a weird thing, it's grubby, and it has a cracked screen, but it was given to me by a plumber, who has just bought a Cat work-proof phone. It may be work proof, but I can pretty much guarantee that it is not Dion proof.

Anyway, the smartphone I received is a HTC Desire S, now I have never heard of HTC before, so I don't know if that means I am simply just out of the loop, or HTC are so bad it was probably a good job I hadn't heard about them. Either way, only time will tell.

Naturally the first thing I did on this phone is disable the auto-correct feature, I have received enough poorly written Skype messages to know that auto-correct is a very bad idea. After that I performed a factory reset, to cleanse it of all the old account details that can't be removed any other way. Then I installed Snapchat so I could annoy Nath's cousin.

My current opinion of this thing is that it's okay, but the battery seems non-existent, by the time I've loaded up my music the battery is has lost 30% of it's charge (exaggeration), my old phone may have been pretty crappy, but I only needed to charge it once or twice a week, this looks like it'll be on charge every night.

I was initially very skeptical of this phones alarm system, I had tried to listen to Iron Maiden through the phones speaker as a test, and I discovered that the speakers were very quiet, but when my alarm went off this morning it pulled me out of two dreams, for I was dreaming in my dream, and being pulled into the real world from two dreams is a very strange sensation. I suppose it also helps that I have a very loud song set as my alarm.

My only quarrel is that it is outdated, and so some of the games I wanted to put on it aren't compatible, which is a shame because Boom Beach looks pretty good. But I've got 9GAG, Instagram and Snapchat on it. I also have an app called SoundHound, which answered the question that has been plaguing me for three years now.

The question was: what is Bernard Doherty's theme song for Listomania (a radio show on Planet Rock)? This question has been bugging me for ages, because I have never heard it played before, and so I couldn't read the song name on the LED screen, thankfully Soundhound allows you to hum, sing or play a song/tune and it will tell you the song title. The song in question was Love Spreads by The Stone Roses, now I have the title, I can get to learning it on guitar.

I guess I have now joined the countless ranks of teenagers who are glued to their phones, or have I? Only time will tell I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment