Monday 22 September 2014

A Big Box of Loud

Yet another week at college, only this one had some excitement in it. Not much mind, but excitement is excitement nonetheless. I also had an incredible weekend and I even made a new friend last week. I think I may have lost a friend, my most important friend, but I get the feeling that will all sort itself out soon enough.

Anyway I'm going to start with my little adventure in college, it wasn't really much of an adventure though, but it was a small amount of excitement. Our tutor decided that with the weather being so nice, it would be a great idea to take us up the Roaches. It what a day it was, especially when one of our group decided to jump off a rock shouting "catch me Josh!" only to land, flat on her face, no where near Josh.

That was actually the highlight of that day, other events weren't quite as entertaining. Although it was fun knowing that Kyle hurt himself, and it was also satisfying to sit atop the trig point eating a jam sandwich. It really was a good jam sandwich too.

Then came Wednesday, which was the awesome day that allowed me to make a new friend. It's not an interesting story, so I'm going to skip through it, meaning I can get onto the interesting bit that follows. Anyway I was at Nathan's house, as per usual on a Wednesday, when suddenly his cousin comes around, with her friend. She asked for guitar lessons, we gave her guitar lessons, we made a date for next time and then they left.

Friday was the next lesson, once I came in from college, I went to Nathan's, and then we walked up to his cousin's house and waited for her to get back from school. While we waited, we showed off our musical skills to her siblings, and once she arrived we just wound her up about her friend who she had brought over to Nath's on Wednesday.

The winding up was the usual deal of, me and Nath taking it in turns to say how much we'd "like to give her one" (which we wouldn't actually do to someone of her age). But at one point, she got rather annoyed with us and decided it would be better for me to just "shut up and play guitar." Four chords later, I wrote a song about how much I'd like to "give her friend one." It may have only been two verses, but a song is a song nonetheless.

That aside, Saturday soon came around, and when it did, I went out and bought myself a new bass amp, big enough for small gigs. Before I bought it, I had a quick go of it at a friends house, for I was buying it off him, and I looked at the dials and thought, "volume 3 should be low enough," I played a low E note and next thing I knew, everything shook. I quickly muted the note, and everything continued to shake for another few seconds.

I then turned everything down to 1 and tried playing something, this time only the cutlery in the kitchen draws shook. Even at it's lowest settings that amp is insanely loud, I played a few famous bass lines that I could think of, and a few not so famous ones which I like to show off with. It didn't take me long to decide that I like that amp, so I happily paid for it.

Once that was set up in Nathan's garage, he got a little jealous. I was happily playing through my 100 watt Trace Elliot amp, and he was stuck with a puny 30 watt Marshall. A solution quickly came, and we then went up to his uncles house to borrow his 100 watt guitar amp. We had it set up in no time, and then we started jamming, very loudly, in his garage through these insanely awesome amps.

Annoyingly it soon became time for our Ghost Hunt, which was more like a test of courage, which we failed. Unfortunately, before we could do that Ghost Hunt, we had to pack up the amps, which meant carrying them out of the garage without scratching one of his dads expensive bikes, then carrying them through a narrow passage without letting the animals escape, and then finally carrying them upstairs into his room.

The next day we brought the amps back down into the garage, as I'm pretty sure you expected, and jammed once more. There was a slight difference with this jam though: we were in Drop D tuning. After a few minutes of aimless, nonsensical playing, we had a proper jam on the go, and soon we had the bass and guitar parts for a song, this included three guitar solos. Now we just need to get a drum kit set up in that garage and we'll be sorted, and even have a drum track on the go. I'd also like to add that I even wrote lyrics to that song out this morning and I've called it Dearest Friend of Mine, and no, the song isn't as pleasant as the title suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment