Sunday 24 August 2014

HEAVY SMEGGING METAL!!!!! (and various other genres)

I'm just going to be frank and simply say that this week hasn't been particularly good. In fact it's welcomed my old friend depression back into my life with open arms, and even decided it was time for me to feel ill. I do however have at least one good thing to say about this week, so instead of returning this blog to it'd old ways of documenting my depression, I'm going to focus on the cool bit.

This week came with four gifts, first and foremost being my brothers entire CD collection which includes quite a lot of CD's I was also given the CD cabinet to stick everything in. Included in the CD collection are some albums I've been wanting for quite some time such as The Wall, Moving Pictures and Dance of Death. Unfortunately I haven't found Master of Reality or Killer yet, but I've only briefly scanned. I have however found a signed copy of Dirty Diamonds by Alice Cooper, so I'm not complaining.

The next gift I received was a customised 100 watt Marshall amplifier. It's had the mesh kicked in, but it's had the capacitors replaced meaning it works at an obscenely high volume without having that annoying "Signature Marshall Hum" which I'm not a big fan of. There are however two problems with the amp, firstly it doesn't do quiet, so It very loud and quickly deafens you when you stand in such a small room (like my own), and secondly it doesn't work without the pedal board.

Coincidentally the pedal board was the third gift, annoyingly it isn't Velcro'd down so the pedals move a little, it has also been customised to smeg so that nothing is as labelled. It does however include a distortion pedal, a wah-wah, a delay pedal, a tremolo pedal, a flanger, a volume, and another random pedal which is used to turn on the flanger and tremolo. It's a lot of fun to use, but it's experimental and it doesn't provide the sounds I want which is a shame. There is also a compressor on there which is permanently active to stop the amp from exploding, and also a foot switch for controlling the amp (which has been customised to smeg like the pedal board) .

The final gift, is my favourite, it's an ESP LTD MH-201, it's such a nice guitar featuring most of what I like about guitars. It features 24 frets and a floating tremolo bridge, which is perfect for some of the songs I've been wanting to use, since my other guitar has 22 frets and a Bigsby bridge, and unfortunately you can't dive-bomb with a Bigsby. That guitar is a lot of fun to play with, and it has been set up so perfectly, but there are a few minor imperfections in it's finish and feel.

Thanks to my gifts I don't think my neighbours like me much anymore, but screw them, I'm a musician they aren't meant to like me. Anyway I'm not sure how long the guitar, amp and pedal board will be in my possession since I'm only supposed to be looking after them. I'm actually surprised I was able to convince my brother to let me look after the ESP let alone everything else, which he sort of just dumped on me, I was however, expecting the CD's, and there are a lot of good ones in that selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment